Happy Monday everyone! 48 years ago today, Diana Ross and the Supremes performed their last concert.
1. Last Call for Winter Eastern Townships Trip
Last day to sign up is Wednesday! This year’s winter retreat will be January 25-27. For those who haven’t joined before, it’s a fun chance to get out of the city, go skiing or hiking, or just take in the local sights in Magog. Sign up here and bring your $20 deposit to me or etransfer me at email@example.com.
2. Department DayBiology Department day is going to take place on Friday, February 8th this year, from 10am-5pm in Thomson House. The day will include speed talks relating to work within the department (either 3 and 6 min like last year), a student poster session, speed debates on hot topics in biology by profs, and an equity and diversity workshop. Registration is free and lunch and coffee breaks will be provided. Register here.
Hope to see you all there!
Department Day Planning Committtee
3. Accessibility Information
We have added some accessibility information on the BGSA website in line with Equity and Diversity Survey feedback (see full report here), including a map for stairless, automatic door access to Stewart Biology during construction, also available on our website.
4. What am I going to do after I graduate? – First Career Seminar of 2019!Whether you’re already working on your thesis or just starting graduate school, the Career Seminar Series can help you identify your career goals.To kick off the new year, we have two speakers from the CAPS (Career Planning Service) office with workshop full of career planning strategies and resources. And, not to worry, light refreshments and snacks will be provided. Please join us January 29, 2019 at 3:30pm (room N7/1) to welcome Susan Molnar and Erin Corber from CAPS!Sign up for this free event here.
Looking forward to seeing many of you soon!Claire, Alycia, and Daneck
5. McGill Graduate Management Consulting Association Winter Case Competition
Interested in a career outside of academia? Perhaps the world of management consulting? McGill Graduate Management Consulting Association is hosting the Winter Case Competition on January 25th, 2019. The competition is open to all Master’s, Ph.D., post-doctoral fellows, and young alumni from all Canadian universities with any educational background. There are lead-up workshops offered the week prior to the competition hosted by professionals from the consulting industry. If you cannot attend the competition you can still benefit from attending these workshops! Check out full event description and register on Eventbrite.
6. Welcome Back Happy Hour
To kick off the semester and welcome our new students, we will be having a happy hour (starting at 5) at Thomson House this Friday. The first few pitchers and nachos are on the BGSA, but you’re free to stick around longer and mingle.
Fun fact of the week – Congratulations to the China National Space Administration for landing a six wheeled rover on the far side of the moon!
Science joke of the week – I once read a book on helium. I couldn’t put it down.
Other info:BGSAjiji BGSAjiji is now read only – email Melissa if you want to post somethingBGSA Room Booking
Facebook:McGill BGSA GroupInstagram: @mcgillbgsaTwitter: @McGillBGSAWebsite: https://mcgillbgsa.com