Department of Biology
More information can be found at the departmental website for Biology at McGill. There, you can find information such as requirements and forms, excellent seminars from students as well as visiting scientists, departmental staff that you can contact if you have specific questions.
Drop by the BGSA room (N2/5) if it’s free for some quiet work or book it in advance.
- Samosa Search! A McGill tradition to tide you over when you need it most
- Guide to McGill (unofficial) – great for new students of all ages
- Are you an international student? Email our international representatives, else check out the International Student Services
- Mental health information from the PGSS that has excellent resources
- Health and Dental – get appointments, what is your plan all about
- Blog about science and communication by Aerin Jacob, a former BGSA-er
- Finding housing – it can be tricky but there’s a facebook group, kiji, craigslist, and here is some information on your rights and protecting yourself from McGill’s housing
- TA and invigilator Union
- BGSA Events to meet you fellow biology grads (Seminars, coffee hour, etc!)
- Check out the PGSS clubhouse: Thompson house and don’t forget about Tuesday night trivia!
- Subscribe to the BGSA listserv if you are not already signed up to receive weekly updates in your McGill inbox.
- Orientation Fall 2016 slides: bgsa_orientation_fall201
- The book Post-PhD career trajectories : intentions, decision-making and life aspirations by Lynn McAlpine and Cheryl Admundsen recommends that students beginning career planning from first days of their PhD. It tells stories about individuals’s career choices and research surrounding career choice.
Book recommended by the Biology department’s course administrator and pedagogical developer, Torsten Bernhardt.
Avaliable at McGill’s libraries: https://mcgill.worldcat.org/title/post-phd-career-trajectories-intentions-decision-making-and-life-aspirations/oclc/956317252&referer=brief_results